Landlord selling house nowhere to live

Dealing with a situation where your landlord is selling the house and you have nowhere to live in the UK can be incredibly stressful and daunting. This comprehensive guide aims to provide you with detailed information, steps, and resources to navigate this challenging situation effectively.

Understanding Your Rights as a Tenant

As a tenant in the UK, you have certain rights and protections under the law, which include:

  1. Right to Remain: You have the right to remain in the property until your tenancy agreement ends, even if the property is being sold.
  2. Notice Periods: Your landlord must give you proper notice before asking you to leave. The notice period depends on the type of tenancy you have:
    • Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST): Typically, your landlord must give you at least 2 months’ notice (Section 21 notice) to vacate the property. However, during the fixed term of your tenancy, they cannot usually ask you to leave unless there are specific grounds for eviction.
    • Periodic Tenancy: If you are on a rolling tenancy (month-to-month basis), the notice period is usually at least 1 rental period (e.g., if you pay rent monthly, you must be given at least 1 month’s notice).
  3. Protection from Illegal Eviction: Your landlord cannot evict you without following the proper legal process. Illegal eviction includes actions like changing locks, removing belongings, or threatening you to leave without legal grounds.

Steps to Take When Your Landlord is Selling the House

1. Review Your Tenancy Agreement

  • Check Notice Period: Review your tenancy agreement to confirm the notice period your landlord must give you. It should specify whether you are on a fixed-term tenancy or a periodic tenancy.

2. Communicate with Your Landlord

  • Discuss Options: Reach out to your landlord or letting agent to discuss the situation. They may be open to negotiating a longer notice period or offering assistance with finding alternative accommodation.

3. Understand Your Finances

  • Budgeting: Assess your financial situation and determine how much you can afford to spend on rent in a new property.
  • Deposit: Ensure your current deposit is protected in a government-approved tenancy deposit scheme. You should receive information about this within 30 days of paying the deposit.

4. Seek Legal Advice

  • Citizens Advice Bureau: Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) or Shelter for free advice on your rights as a tenant and the legal steps you can take.
  • Legal Aid: If you’re on a low income, you may be eligible for legal aid to help with legal costs.

5. Explore Alternative Housing Options

  • Local Council: Contact your local council’s housing department for advice on finding emergency accommodation or social housing.
  • Private Renting: Start looking for alternative rental properties in your desired area. Websites like Rightmove, Zoopla, and SpareRoom can help you find available rentals.

6. Negotiate with Your Landlord

  • Extended Notice Period: If you need more time to find alternative accommodation, discuss with your landlord the possibility of extending the notice period.
  • Financial Assistance: In some cases, landlords may offer financial compensation or assistance with relocation costs.

7. Prepare for Moving Out

  • Notice Period: Once you receive a formal notice from your landlord (Section 21 notice), start planning your move-out process.
  • Notice Response: Respond to the notice in writing, acknowledging receipt and confirming your understanding of the notice terms.

8. Handle Your Deposit

  • Deposit Return: Ensure your landlord returns your deposit within 10 days of agreeing on how much you’ll get back.
  • Dispute Resolution: If there are disagreements over the deposit deductions, use the deposit protection scheme’s dispute resolution service.

Resources and Support

Legal Advice and Support

  • Shelter: Offers free advice and support on housing issues, including eviction and homelessness.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB): Provides free, confidential advice on a wide range of issues, including housing rights.

Finding Alternative Accommodation

  • Rightmove: A popular property portal where you can search for rental properties across the UK.
  • Zoopla: Another leading property portal with a wide range of rental listings.
  • SpareRoom: Specializes in flatshare and house share listings, suitable if you’re looking for a room rather than a whole property.

Financial Assistance

  • Universal Credit: If you’re eligible, Universal Credit can help with housing costs, although there might be waiting periods and eligibility criteria.
  • Local Housing Allowance (LHA): Provides financial support for renting privately, based on local rent prices.


Dealing with your landlord selling the house when you have nowhere to live in the UK can be overwhelming, but knowing your rights and taking proactive steps can help you navigate this situation more effectively. Remember to seek legal advice, explore alternative housing options, and communicate openly with your landlord to find the best solution for your circumstances. By being well-informed and prepared, you can minimize stress and ensure a smoother transition to new accommodation.

Are you interested in SELLING YOUR PROPERTY FAST? …with NO Fee?

Leave Your Name & Number. Our Agents can tell you more…
Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.